Day 12: Eternal Sunshine


"So the producers were finally able to get that filming permit in Brindleton Bay, and they brought us here to this place called the Calico Lounge."

"That's a strange name," Daniel remarks.

"I hear this area's full of cat lovers, and there are lots of strays roaming about. But locals say they're not harmful."

The two move over to the nearest bench to continue their conversation.


"It's a really beautiful day today, isn't it? I wouldn't mind staying here to chat for a while," Daniel says.

"Every day feels the same. But then it's summer, so it's three whole months of eternal sunshine," Andrea responds.


"Oh, that reminds me!" Daniel exclaims. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I love that movie. Have you seen it?"

"Yeah! It was so tragic how Jim Carrey's character couldn't reverse his decision to forget about Clementine."

"They were so passionate, but they couldn't stand each other when things went south. But in the end they just started over. Maybe it was all for the best."


"Hey, Daniel. Do you wish that maybe you could forget about someone just like that? I know it's a weird question, but I just got to thinking..."

"Actually, no. But with my history, I'm sure a lot of women wish they could do that to me."

"What do you mean?" Andrea asks with a curious look in her eye.

"Ooh, it's getting kind of hot out here," Daniel remarks as he lifts his shirt collar. "Maybe we should head inside before we continue."



"So about that..."

"I...erm...how do I put this? If I were to be completely honest..."

Daniel hesitates for a moment.

"I was a bit of a player when I was younger."

"Oh, that's shocking," Andrea responds in a sarcastic deadpan.

"It's just that I broke a lot of girls' hearts back in the day, Andrea. I've dated the head cheerleader in high school and the popular girls. Sometimes more than one at a single time. But I'm tired of that, I swear! I came on this show looking for something serious...so I hope you don't mind that little tidbit about me."

"You know what, if you say you're looking for something serious now, I believe you."

"It's just that I wasn't really the most handsome kid back when I was younger. I already told you about that. So when girls started paying attention to me after I lost weight, I...I got carried away. It just felt good to be wanted like that."


"I can understand that," Andrea replies. "And you know how I told you that I was overweight as a kid too?"

"Yeah."

"Well, there's more to it than that."

"What do you mean?"

"I think I'm going to need a drink for this..." Andrea declares.


"You know, life as a fat kid wasn't easy," Andrea starts.

"Yeah, I should know," Daniel retorts.

"But I didn't just exercise and all to lose that weight like you did. I also resorted to more drastic measures..."


"Drastic measures?"

"I...I was bulimic back in high school," Andrea confesses.

Daniel momentarily pauses to process this information.

"...Andrea, that's terrible!" Daniel exclaims.

"I know, I know. I had issues back then. Eventually my parents found out. Got me into therapy, and I started eating right and exercising regularly. It wasn't easy at first, because I got addicted to purging and stuff. But soon I was able to wean myself off it, and I started developing healthier habits to manage my weight."

"I'm really sorry. That must have been a difficult time for you."

"Oh, it was, but it's all in the past now. I was down to a reasonable weight by the time I went to culinary school. And some of the kids who mocked me back then have already apologized as adults, so it's all good."


"Oh jeez. I'm gonna bring out the good stuff for you, lady. It sounds like you need it."


"Look at it this way," Daniel says. "We both look and feel good now. And we're here having the time of our lives on this show. That's all that matters right now."

"Oh, I'd say I look really good, but I can't say the same for you, Danny boy," Andrea teases.

"Oof. Way to hit where it hurts."


"Well, here's to us," Andrea toasts. "May we always feel good about ourselves, no matter how we look."


"I'll drink to that."


"What did you get?" Andrea asks.

"The lobster. You?"

"Popcorn shrimp. It's deliciously greasy. And you know what? I don't care. Just for today I'm going to let loose."

"Yeah, what's one greasy food stall meal? Sometimes you gotta feed the fat kid inside."


I think these two are having a moment, folks. You'd think those eyes were superglued to each other.


"Hey Daniel, listen. I had a really fun time today."

"Same here, Andrea."

"So just before we end this, I just wanted to, well..."



"Guess who just set the record for the best solo date on this show?"


Later on in the day, everyone's back to their usual routine. Min practicing his dance moves, and Daniel lifting weights.


"Hey you," Andrea says to Daniel as she enters the gym.

"Well there's an unfamiliar sight. What brings you to the gym, Andrea?" Daniel asks.


"I just wanted to thank you for earlier. It was nice getting to know you more intimately."

"Likewise, Andrea. I won't be forgetting it soon."


Andrea looks pleased with herself.


"Dax! How was your day?"

"Oh, I had an awesome time! Well, would've been more awesome with you here, but I did what I could."


"I went for a swim earlier this morning. And after that, well, you know Min's score on the arcade machine?"

"Yeah."

"I took it down a notch," Dax proudly declares.


"No way!" Andrea blurts out in disbelief. "I'v'e never been able to top it!"

"You gotta see it to believe it, bro."


"Where did you even start? Those ships in stage 3 alone were costing me too many points."

"You see, the trick is..."


"Hey, what are you guys talking about?" Daniel interrupts.

"Dax beat Min's high score on the arcade machine," Andrea replies.

"You know, I've never touched it before, actually. I should try it out sometime."


"I get that this is a competition and all and that those two had a great time on their date, but I can't help but feel that Daniel's not too big on sharing."


"Milo! Hope you didn't miss me too much earlier," Andrea says.

"Nah. I missed you just the right amount today," Milo replies.

"Maybe you won't miss me once we catch up, chef."


"What do you say to catching up over a home cooked meal, courtesy of me?" Milo offers.

"I wouldn't say no to that," Andrea responds with a sultry smile on her lips.

Daniel stands up and approaches the two.

"Hey, um, Andrea?" Daniel says.

"What's up?"

Daniel looks at the floor and hesitates before responding.

"Erm, nothing. Sorry. You guys go on," he says.


"I don't know if it's just me, but I swore Daniel looked pretty upset that time. Was it something I said?"


In the meantime, Aaron decides to read in peace inside the study while Min Kyu ponders over the glass's fullness at the desk.


As the night grows dark, everyone else decides to go to bed, leaving these two in the living room.

"Hey, Daniel, I just wanted to have a quick chat before I head upstairs," Andrea says.

"Sure. I'm listening."

"With us earlier, Milo and me. What were you going to say? I hope you didn't mind us bantering right behind you."


"Oh, that? Nah, it was nothing. I just wanted to ask you something, but I forgot what it was. And besides, we never said we were exclusive. The show's still going on, right? It's no big."

"Are you sure? I'm not usually like this, but it's not everyday that you're living in a house with several guys who are trying to win you over."

"Yeah, I'm fine."


I don't think the definition of "fine" includes sulking over a plate of grilled chicken. Something's definitely up.


"Well, I'm glad that's all cleared out. Time for some shuteye."


Min then enters the kitchen.

"Oh, hey, do you mind if I grab this? I'm starving. Thanks!"


"What's up, dude, why do you look so sad?" Min asks. "Wait! Is it because I took the chicken? Bro, I'm so sorry. I haven't eaten dinner yet. I'll give it to you if you want."

"Nah, you can have it. I'll just be going to bed."

"Really? Suit yourself. Good night!"

"Night."


---------------------------

It seems like a lot has happened in a single day. Is Daniel starting to get jealous of the other contestants? What does this all mean for the next elimination ceremony?

Find out next time on For Love or Money!

Comments

Popular Posts