Day 3: Wet and Wild

Of course, not to be unfair to the other men, Andrea decides to take them out someplace different.


"Don't think I've forgotten about you boys," Andrea teases.


"We're going to have ourselves a hearty breakfast in this diner. Make sure you eat up, because you'll be needing it."

"Awesome. I could use some eggs and bacon right now. I'm starving," Daniel remarks.

"Breakfast food? Sounds good," Milo says.

"I make it a point to never skip breakfast. Surfing takes a lot of energy," Dax says.

"Well, if Andrea likes this place, I'm willing to give it a try," Leroy says.


"We have a reservation under SimBC."

"Oh, yes, right this way, ma'am."


"Place looks nice, Andy. I'm definitely excited to eat here," Dax enthusiastically says.

"Andy...you know, I haven't been called that in years," Andrea says.

"Oh, sorry, do you want me to..."

"Nah, it's okay. Andy's fine," she says while smiling to Dax.


"Your table, ma'am. And gentlemen."

"Thank you."


"Okay, while we're ordering and waiting, I want to do a round of names just like with the other guys. You all got to introduce yourselves to me the other day, but now's your chance to get to know your fellow contestants."


"I guess I'll start. My name's Dax Waverly Cove. Dax for short. I'm a professional surfer, and I've been doing it for a few years now. I also own a surfing goods store in Isla Paradiso."


"I'm Daniel Ledger. I'm a cop--"

"SCREW THE PO-PO! WOOOO!" Dax interrupts.

Daniel stares blankly at Dax for a few seconds.

"Anyway, I'm part of the San Myshuno Police Department. And I was captain of the football team back in high school. Dated a couple girls here and there, nothing too serious though."


"I'm Milo Ortega. I'm a chef like Andrea, but I'd say she's the better cook, going by the food she's cooked for us yesterday. I only had a year of formal training, but I have a lot of work experience now. So...that counts for something, right?"


"My name's Leroy Jordan. This isn't my first time on a reality show, actually. I joined one before because I needed money for my sister's operation. She's fine now, and it's actually her idea for me to join this one. Oh, and I'm a high school teacher, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about that."


"No wonder you looked familiar!" Dax remarks. "I actually do remember you being on Locked!"

"I'm surprised you still remember that," Leroy responds. "It's been a while. Although I have to say it's a relief that random people don't often come up to me anymore."



"People did start to recognize me for a short while when I went on Locked. Of course, soon the novelty faded and people began to forget about me. And to be honest, it was kind of a relief, because I don't think I can handle being famous."

"And yet I decided to join another reality show. What did I get myself into?"



Looks like Andrea got the ball rolling, but then came the one thing that's guaranteed to stop any conversation in its tracks.

"Your food, everyone."


That looks scrumptious. I probably shouldn't record the narration while hungry.


"I had this student once whom I caught spray painting the bathrooms with rumors about his classmates. Sent him to the principal, but we decided to keep it on the down low so that the other students won't retaliate," Leroy recounts.

"Until you decided to tell it while cameras are filming us," Daniel says.

"Nah, as long as I don't say his name, they'll never know. And that was a few years back, so they've all moved on to college by now."


"I already told Andrea this, but I got attacked by a shark a few years back," Dax says.

"You see, that's why I generally avoid the water. Lying down while soaking up some sun is where it's at," Milo responds.

"Dude, you haven't really lived until you've surfed right under a massive wave. You've got to try it some time!"


"So my sister, Stella, once took my Hot Wheels from me just to annoy me. I ran after her to get it back, but I ran out of breath after a while. I was pretty out of shape then," Daniel recounts.

"It's not really obvious now," Andrea says. "I wouldn't have guessed it if you hadn't told me."


"Excuse me, I just gotta go to the bathroom," Milo says as he hobbles to the bathroom.


"That's it for the first part of our day. We'll just wait for Milo to finish before driving to our next destination," Andrea says.

"I say we ditch him," Daniel jokes.

"He probably won't appreciate walking the 20 miles to Windenburg," Andrea says.

"We're going to Windenburg?" Leroy asks. "I hear it's nice over there this time of the year."


After the 20-mile drive, everyone arrives and changes into their swimwear.

"I feel as if I need to get to know you guys better. I brought you all here so we could have some fun and talk a little more," Andrea begins.


"Starting with you, our firefighting hero of the week. Tell me more about yourself. Everyone else, don't worry because I'll get to you soon. Just enjoy yourselves for now."


"I never noticed it before because this is the first time I've seen you without a shirt, but your back tattoo is pretty nice. Why'd you pick it?" Andrea starts.


"Oh, thanks. I got it when I was 22. What can I say? I just really love the world."


"Oh my God," Andrea laughs. "That's a pretty cheesy line."

"What? It's true. That's why I entered the police academy. I always admired how cops enforced the law and brought justice to the downtrodden. A map of the world reminds me of what I promised to protect when I decided to become an officer."

"That's very admirable. Although I'm sure you're aware of recent controversies surrounding policemen, right?"

"Yeah, I think what they did is pretty despicable, but I can also understand where they're coming from. The job comes with a lot of risks, and sometimes, a reaction delay of one second spells the difference between life and death for uniformed men and women. But then again, I guess that's no reason for us to be so trigger-happy."


Feeling a bit uncomfortable with the subject, Daniel decides to change the topic.

"What about you? I noticed back in the first day that you have that tattoo on your shoulder."

"Oh, this?" Andrea asks as she looks over her shoulder. "I got it shortly after high school. I just love the idea of a flock of birds. They're so free, you know? Free from having to worry so much, flying to wherever it's nice and warm."

"Oh, that's a nice idea. I'd love to be a free spirit and travel the world, but I'm rooted in San Myshuno now. I can't really leave it at this point."

"Yeah, we all have something that ties us down. But then, maybe it's all for the best..."


It seems like Mr. Ortega is up next.


"Milo! You're just sitting here by yourself? Don't you like to swim?" Andrea asks.


"Nah, it's not really my thing," Milo responds. "Too much exertion for me. I just took a quick dip earlier and decided to just bask in the sun."


"I remember you helping put out that grill fire yesterday. It's a good thing we have someone like you around."

"Oh, that," Milo shyly chuckles. "We get kitchen fires from time to time. It's nothing I can't handle."

"That's so odd!" Andrea remarks. "We rarely get fires in my place. I think in the past five years, the place where I work has only ever had one. And the sprinklers usually take care of the problem.

"We don't have sprinklers..."

"Well that sucks."



"It's not really a fancy place. Just a diner that serves a little bit of everything. You know how you tend to become good at preparing the dishes that customers order often?"

"Yeah."


"I'm good at preparing a bunch of dishes. But our menu offers so much, that I prepare half of the dishes there maybe once a month at most. It's easy to screw those up."

"You should cut your menu down, then. Like maybe stick to a certain theme."

"I guess."



While these two are busy chatting, a third wheel tags along.


"Hey, is it alright if I get some time alone with Andrea?" Leroy requests.


"Uh, sure, go ahead. I'll just be over there," Milo responds.


"Enjoying your day so far?" Leroy asks.

"I'm out in the sun with four wonderful men. I'd say this is a perfect day," Andrea states.


"You're too kind."

"So, Leroy. There's so much I want to ask you, but let me start with your career. What exactly do you teach?"


"Mostly art and literature," Leroy answers. "I've always enjoyed reading stories and making art, so when I decided to be a teacher, I thought why not teach something I'm passionate about?"

"Did you always want to be a teacher?"

"Well, no. I took up fine arts in college with some literature classes on the side. I became a TA in the middle of college to make some money, and I learned that I had a knack for teaching, so I threw in some education classes. That was enough for me to be qualified to teach high school."



"Really? Don't you need like a certification or something?"

"Well, that part came later. I worked toward it while teaching my first classes. It was tough, but it paid off in the end."

"I'm glad it worked out for you. I can't imagine putting myself under all that stress."


Finally, there's one last man that Andrea wanted to speak with before ending their little outing.


"I saw that. You did a really nice swan dive there," Andrea remarks.

"Thanks, Andy! Why don't you come over here so we can get to know each other?" Dax requests.


"It's so weird being called Andy again."


"How come?"

"Andy was this nickname I had back in school. But...I didn't exactly have the best time there, so I kind of distanced myself from it when I went to culinary school. Everyone there just referred to me as Andrea."

"Oh, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to bring up such a sad memory," Dax apologetically replies.


"You know what? It's okay," Andrea reassures him. "I'm in a much better place now, so it doesn't matter to me. Really. So I don't mind being called that."

"Sure thing, Andy."

"I just realized we've been talking about myself this whole time. What about you? What can you tell me about yourself, Dax?"


"Well, I was born and raised in Isla Paradiso. It's no wonder that I really enjoy surfing, because the beaches there are perfect."

"I've never had the chance to go there, but I've seen postcards. It's a very beautiful place."

"Yeah, I should take you there sometime and teach you how to surf!"



"Hey, mister! Hey, lady! Whatcha talking about?"

"Kid, sorry but we're having a private grownup conversation here. Nothing that'll interest you," Dax says.

"Sorry, darling. Is it okay if you could give us some privacy?" Andrea says.


"Ooohhhh...Okay then. I'll be going now."

Kids these days.


"I feel like I really got to know Andy today. I hope I made a good impression on her. I don't really want to leave just yet, because I'm having such a blast."


After getting dressed, everyone rides back home late in the afternoon.


"What's up, everyone?" Daniel asks. "What are you watching?"

"It's this new comedy special on TV," Tyne answers. "It's hilarious! You've got to see this."



"Stephen Colbert is such a comedic genius," Aaron says.

"Yeah, he's a pretty funny guy," Min Kyu replies.

"How did it go, by the way?" Tyne asks Daniel.

"Great. We had some breakfast at this diner, then we went to this huge outdoor pool."


Looks like Tyne is now a slave to the rhythm.


And he's suddenly joined by Aaron! Maybe there's more to this unassuming botanist than meets the eye.


Of course, Min Kyu's not one to turn down a dance party.


Yeah, show 'em how it's done, my boy!


"What's going on here?" Andrea asks.


"I dunno. I just felt like dancing, and then everyone else started to join in," Tyne replies.

"You should know by now that you can't have a dance party without me," Min Kyu says. "Someone's gotta serve it, you know."


Even Darnell couldn't resist joining in on this impromptu dance party.


Leroy too. And nobody's even had a drink! Maybe everyone just likes to party.


Meanwhile...

"Hey, where is everyone? Kinda quiet here," Dax observes.

"Dunno. Maybe they went outside?" Daniel says.


"Well, I'm beat. Night, everyone," Min Kyu says.

What? Done already? I thought you were ready to show us more of your moves, Min.


"I'm glad you all like to have some fun. I like a little bit of dancing myself to unwind," Andrea says.


"Well, I'm done here. Imma just leave you two kids alone," Darnell says.


"So, if you could only cook one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?" Andrea asks.

"Hmm...I'd have to say spaghetti Bolognese. I wouldn't mind eating that for the rest of my life. Why'd you ask?"

"So that means you're good at preparing spaghetti?"

"Yeah, I'd say so."


"Mind sharing the recipe with me?"

"Oh ho, I could, but I'll have to get something in return from you."


"I think I can arrange a little something," Andrea suggestively remarks.


"Hey, what's going on here?" Daniel asks.

"We had a dance party earlier. You're too late, though. Andrea already left."


Well, that didn't stop Daniel from joining in. I guess even cops like to get down once in a while.


"That was a really tiring day, but I had a lot of fun. We've got a big day tomorrow, so I have to sleep. See you tomorrow, Leroy."

"Night, Andrea."



---------------------------

And that concludes our third episode this season. Coming up next is our first elimination ceremony. Who will Andrea choose to send home at this point? Find out next time on For Love or Money!

Comments

Popular Posts